The number of academic writing genres is so expanding, that students always confuse the features of each of the styles. In college, teachers practice to assign them different types of an essay to train their writing skills. But they continue to confuse such elementary things as "narrative" and "expository" essay. However, the difference between these essay types is visible and clear. To uncover it, we want to you to take look at definitions of key words that reveal the purpose of these two variants of writing assignments.
What is the difference between words "tell" and "explain"?
"Tell" means to provide some information about certain subject or issue. "Explain" is to express the information on the topic in order to make it more understandable to the reader. So, in a narrative essay the writer tells a story, while in the expository essay the writer explains or describes the issue, provides guidelines to some process.
What to write in your expository essay?
The aim of the argumentative essay is to expand the information on the topic in a logical manner. The essay writer must support his ideas with relevant evidence. With its content and structure, an expository essay must resemble manuals, descriptions, and instructions. All these types of writing provide sufficient information on the topic in easy to understand the logical order. To be more precise, before you select argumentative essay topic, it is important to decide what essay variation you would like write. There are such types of it:
- Expository definition essay. Take a concept of the phenomenon and discuss the denotation and connotation of it.
- Expository process essay. Write the guidelines about the mechanics of making some particular process. Your goal is to instruct the reader.
- Expository classification essay. Here the aim of the write is to categorize the broad concept into smaller groups according to their function.
- Expository compare and contrast essay. The aim of any expository writing is to reveal the features of notions indicated in the topic. One of the most useful ways to detect these features is to compare and contrast them.
- Expository cause and effect essay. In this case, two objects must be indicated in the topic and the writer must explain how one object affects the other.
What is the key feature of expository essay topics?
As the main aim of the expository essay is to explain a topic in a logical manner, the topics must contain signal words that illustrate this action. Good expository essay topics usually start with words "Describe", "Explain", "Define". They show the writer the aim of the text he is going to write. The direction of this writing and idea creation is determined by the signal word stated in the topic. It is important to keep to the denotation of this word. For example, if it is written “to define” in the expository essay topic, you must provide a substantial definition of the object, but not reflects the effects of it on another object.
When should I make up a topic for an expository essay?
Students usually come up with expository essay topic on the prewriting phase of essay writing. Sometimes teachers offer the topic, but most often students use their own creative skills to define about what they will write. So, a topic of the essay determines the further actions of the writer. You cannot start writing an essay without a sharp clue about what to write. When you have a well-formulated topic, it is a half success of your final writing. During the selection of the topic take into account such criteria:
- the topic must be interesting for you to write and interesting for the audience to read;
- the topic must force the writer to conduct a research to present a content of correspondent quality;
- the topic must correspond to your academic level. Topics for high school students differ in the complexity with topics for college students. Mind it
- expository essay topic must be relevant to the subject on what you were assigned to write. For example, if your subject is “law studies” it is an unsuccessful idea to write about reasons of children obesity in high school.
- you must be able to find and show worthy evidence and examples on the topic. Without it, your topic cannot be fully covered and the writing will be poor.
Expository essay writing prompts: 50 best ideas
Teachers of many subjects can assign expository essay writing. That is why even if you know some prompts and a basic concept of this kind of writing it is still difficult to make up a worthy topic for the essay on a particular subject. So, we divided the most efficient topic ideas into groups according to the most popular subjects. Select the one you liek to write a perfect expository essay!
1. Personal experiences
Describing situations from your personal experience is the easiest way to make up a topic for your expository essay. It is a chance for a student to express his feeling about the certain issue or give an explanation of some phenomenon based on his experiences. This expository essay theme is a good source for your academic writing ideas because you can get much evidence with fewer efforts.
- Describe your first day at school.
- Explain how growing up with (or without) a sibling influenced on your personality.
- Describe what is it like to live with a pet.
- Explain how studying apart from parents raised your courage.
- Define the meaning of true friendship to you.
- Describe the hobby you enjoy doing and how someone could go about learning this hobby.
- Describe your favorite vacation place. Give reasons as to why you enjoy spending time there.
- Describe your first work experience and what skills and knowledge you gained during it.
- Explain how your favorite teacher affected your professional development.
- Explain how music influences your life.
The most frequent task at literature lessons is to create an essay on the topic concerning the literary work students currently study. Usually, all students differ in the aspects they pay attention during reading and analyzing of the book or a poem. Someone pays attention to characters, other treat seriously the general idea of the creation. To write an expository essay concerning topic from literature you must define what aspects you are interested in analyzing books the most.
- Define what writing style features are innate to the author of your favorite book.
- Compare the motives of protagonist and antagonist from the novel.
- Define the historical background of the main idea of the novel.
- Explain how modernism movement had been developing.
- Define the key signs of detective genre in the story.
- Explain the significance of the literary work for future generations.
- Describe the way how the author expressed social issues in the book.
- Define the significance of the author for the cultural heritage of a certain nation.
- Define who influenced the writing style of the author.
- Describe psychological subtext of the novel.
History is a subject that is compulsory for students of at nearly every major. Because the awareness of basic historical events is a must for educated person. To make an expository essay topic on this subject bear in mind that history studies the development of countries, its significant inventions, and outstanding personalities.
- Explain the consequences of the World War II for the United States.
- Explain the significance of technical progress in the history of the United States
- Explain the effect of newspaper invention.
- Describe the period of Great Depression in the United States.
- Describe the key aspects of John's Kennedy political activity.
- Define who is responsible for mass terrors in XXth century.
- Define current dangers of military activity in the Eastern Asia.
- Define the precursors of Civil War in The United States.
- Explain the significance of negotiations during military operations.
- Explain why some countries tend to implement Communism.
4. Social issues
Social topics is a win-win if you want to present the audience impressive and actual material. You only have to dig into current social problems of your local community and get the basis for topics from there. The source of social problems is hard to exhaust because new problems intensively appear in the society.
- Describe the reasons for rising teenage pregnancy rate.
- Explain social precursors of drug addiction.
- Describe three things you would like to change in your society and explain why you would change them.
- Define possible consequences of brothers and sisters constantly fighting
- Define current harmful hobbies for teenagers.
- Explain the social significance of wearing a uniform at school.
- Explain the possible consequences of dropping out of college.
- Describe the changes in communication in the last 20 years since the internet emerged.
- Explain why the tolerance in a workplace is crucial.
- Define the causes and effects of not voting in the elections.
5. Science and Technology
The advancement of technology is rapidly growing nowadays. Every day you can learn some new facts about science developments. So, if you want to have nontrivial expository essay topic that requires thorough research, choose something that refers to a technological area of study. Even if you are a Liberal Arts student, there are plenty interesting issues to dwell upon in terms of this theme.
- Explain why people should continue space exploration?
- Define the latest developments in human brain study.
- Explain how to cure of cold fast and on a low budget.
- Describe the significance of studies about black holes.
- Explain the current reasons of environment pollution.
- Define the most popular alternative sources of energy.
- Define the latest developments in searches for cure of cancer.
- Explain how basic knowledge of IT is essential nowadays.
- Explain the reasons people must use solar energy.
- Describe the long-term effects of global warming.
If you are going to write an expository essay, be prepared to spend much time hitting books. Creating an effective essay of this type may seem to be a more difficult task compared to other essays. The main idea here is to explain some situation or describe how a certain process works.
From its name, you may guess that you should have a clear picture of a certain thing in order to provide your reader with a clear and concise explanation. It is impossible to talk about the topic you either don’t know anything about or are not interested in. That’s why you should do a great pre-writing job looking for the attractive topic, which you would like to present to your target audience.
DO MY HOMEWORK FOR ME
Writing an essay isn’t as easy as ABC, especially, if you can’t do without making a research instead of developing a work based on your own experience. You can include information based on your personal life findings, but it shouldn’t be the only source.
The key to success in the process of essay writing is a proper organization of work and an understanding why you are going to do this task. You may face a range of questions, which will be answered here. It is possible to write an A-grade expository essay only by following the guidelines and step-by-step instructions.
What is an Expository Essay?
If it is the first time when you hear the name “an expository essay”, you may wonder: “What is an expository essay and how it should be written?” First of all, it is necessary to understand what it is all about. To explain what is an expository essay in simple words, you should memorize one easy formula: information plus analysis.
Imagine that your friend has asked you about something and you need to give him as many details as possible analyzing how something works. Sounds easy, doesn’t it?
After you have answered the most important question “What is an expository essay?” you should start searching for the relevant information. Be careful using materials taken from the internet since not all sources are reliable and for this paper type credible sources are of utmost important. Find the trustworthy information for the essay topic you are going to work on.
Look at the expository essay samples, which one can easily find on the Internet nowadays. Before you get started, not only read the essay type definition but have an illustrative example, which will be helpful while writing an essay.
Top-Rated Expository Essay Examples
Look at the expository essay examples to have a clear picture of the writing style and requirements.
An expository essay sample on the topic “The effective methods to feel happy.”
An expository essay example on the topic” How to react to the teenager’s wish to date?”
These two expository essay examples may be helpful while creating your own essay.
Expository Essay Definition
An expository essay is an essay that requires to examine a specific topic and give arguments. It involves a presentation of the main thought in a clear manner using the contrast and comparison and including the relevant examples and explanations of certain phenomena.
Unique Expository Essay Topics
There are a lot of expository essay topics to choose from. Haven’t been assigned a definite topic yet and need to make a choice on your own? Then you should focus on your reader. Brainstorm ideas and choose the topic which is able to attract your audience. Avoid general topics and be specific. Narrow your research sphere, making it clear and concise.
Here you will find expository essay topics, which will help you come up with the most suitable one, depending on your educational establishment requirements.
Expository Essay Topics 8th Grade
- Explain how you like spending free time and why.
- Whom would you like to look after and why?
- Give instructions how to ride a bicycle.
- How to memorize new English words?
- How do you feel when you get bad grades?
Great Expository Essay Topics
- How to lead a healthy lifestyle on a tight budget?
- How to stop bullying in high educational establishments?
- What is the impact of new information technologies on people’s relations?
- How do computer games influence kids?
- How not to be materialistic?
Good Expository Essay Topics
- How to manage your time and not be late?
- Which strong points do you have?
- Which effect does Internet have on modern communication?
- How not to become shopping addicted person if you have money?
- What is the reason for the high percentage of divorces?
Expository Essay Topics for High School Students
- Who is your favorite film superhero and why?
- Do people need to stay independent?
- How do you understand “love”?
- Explain what is friendship for you?
- What is the secret of successful people?
Topics for Expository Essays for College
Find the best college essay topics:
- How to minimize the negative influence of media on people’s lives?
- Where to invest money in and why?
- Which writer is your favorite one and why?
- How to become a leader?
- How does music influence people’s life?
WRITE MY EXPOSITORY ESSAY PLEASE
How to Write an Expository Essay
Are you ready with the topic? Then the next step will be to learn more about the expository essay structure. Those who have already written essays know how to write an expository essay as the structure is somewhat similar to the one other papers have.
It should be well-organized and sound logical. As any other essay, there is an introductory part, a body consisting of not less than 4-5 paragraphs, and a conclusion.
Each one has its own features, which you can check out here.
Expository Essay Outline
When writing an expository essay, remember that a key to success is a logical plan. Before you write your essay from scratch, you should work on an outline.
- Start with an introduction, which should be short but informative;
- Proceed with five-paragraph main body, containing analysis and all findings;
- Make a conclusion, which should summarize but not include any new facts.
Expository Essay Introduction
An introduction is the most important part of your piece of writing. If you don’t succeed in making it eye-catchy, your reader is unlikely to continue reading your essay.
It is very important to pay special attention to the opening sentence. Take into account these three main prompts.
- Provide an interesting dilemma or ask a disputable question;
- Introduce all necessary pieces of information to help a reader understand the intention of your writing;
- Write an effective expository essay thesis statement.
How to Write an Expository Essay Thesis?
- Present facts to your reader;
- Help them understand the main idea;
- Explain which aim you have set writing this essay.
Expository Essay Main Body
When you proceed to the main body, make sure you know how to write properly:
- Write the key idea for each paragraph;
- Provide your paragraphs with enough supporting sentences;
- Explain why you are sure that the provided facts play a significant role.
Expository Essay Conclusion
If you have already come to the end of the essay, you should ensure you know how to write a conclusion for expository essay.
- Give an overview;
- Brainstorm possible problem solutions;
- Prove the necessity of your research.
Most Effective Advice from Expert
An expository essay is a genre of writing that will expose your writing skills and talent if written properly. First of all, you should get the meaning of the expository essay definition and choose the topic you know well or at least find it interesting to learn more about. If a person feels enthusiastic about something, they will be ready to spend much time making a research and will achieve success.
Remember that the main accent is on the author's personality, which means you are the most important figure in your essay. Your reader will see all details through the prism of your ideology.
That's why be attentive to details and develop your creative thinking as the top-quality work should contain a solid point of view supported by facts and unquestionable truth.
Imagine that your pieces of information are just pieces of a puzzle that you have to collect. Find the appropriate place for each one so that it sounds logical. And don’t try to copy other writers as only essays having their own voice are worth A-grades. Pay attention to your language as it should be eerror-free
Imagine that your essay is a precious stone and make all of its faces shine using an easily readable and original language.
Be wise and get started only if you are inspired to create a masterpiece.
Feel That Essay Writing isn’t Your Strong Point? Use Custom Essay Writing!
Students are overloaded with many tasks nowadays, which has a negative impact on the quality of the work done. If you don’t think that you have enough basic knowledge and experience to write a brilliant expository essay, you can use the custom paper help online. Make your life easier by asking the professional writer: “Write my paper, please”.
Your essay will be plagiarism-free and written according to the professional format requirements. Feel depressed because you don’t have time to cope with all assignments? Hurry up to fill out an essay order form at the site and forget about worries!
In need of professional academic backing? – Look no further!